I set out with a driver and a translator to visit the closest leprosy colony, about two hours away.
I don't think it's all that distant, but many of the roads aren't paved, and the dust, mud, and crater-like potholes have to be seen to be believed. Since it was about 100 degrees, and since we kept having to roll up the jeep windows because of the dust, the driver was getting hot and thirsty.
He stopped along the way to buy some water. I jumped out to snap a few pictures before he returned.
The vast, vast majority of people do not own cars. So there are many of these taxis, which can get very crowded, with people hanging onto the back and seated on top (notice the seats on the roof).
This little boy was manning the beautiful vegetable stand. Truancy is a huge problem here. But now most schools have a few weeks off for the summer, and so hopefully he doesn't do this full-time.
Another taxi. Customers ride next to the driver and in the back, facing the rear.
Amazing.
ReplyDelete