The kids call me sistah. I didn't understand why until someone pointed out that the rare white woman who comes here usually works as a nurse in the leprosy hospital down the street. So white women are sistahs.
Generally they don't speak a word of English (unlike at Rising Star, where there were many volunteers and kids were at least somewhat conversant and some spoke very well). If they do know five words, two of them are "one photo!" When they see my camera bag, they make a dash for me.
I don't have to ask for models. They come running, jostling over who gets center stage. They're ready in two seconds flat.
Brothers...
...and more brothers.
These kids lined up like this, all on their own, ready for me click.
At school, too, they motion for me to take their picture and thrust themselves into position. It feels like the highest honor if they're lucky enough to be photographed. They are recognized.

Amazing that they lined themselves up perfectly for the photo. I'm glad you can make them happy by taking their picture.
ReplyDeleteRemember that family by the ocean in Pondicherry who wanted us to take their picture and proudly lined themselves up for it, although they were strangers to us and would never see the picture?
This message is from Mom
DeleteLOVE love love all your entries. It is SO interesting to hear and get a glimpse about the various details. I hope someday during first or second year of school you will receive reports about how much better living conditions are there and how much academic progress the children are all making. I am so very glad you were able to go even after all those delays. Miss you here! much love.
ReplyDeleteAll those beautiful smiles and beautiful teeth. How do the children take care of their pearly whites?
ReplyDelete