Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Class pictures

I took pictures of each of the classes. Here are some samples. 

My favorite picture is that of "8th class" (or, as they say, "8 class"). I asked them to line up and this is what I got. Teenage boys and girls are supposed to stand far apart from each other. And I could not get two of the girls to look at the camera. 




First class. 

I am trying my best to make life a little easier for them during my short stay here. They have one teacher who whacks them hard on the back if they don't know how to read when he calls them up, one by one (which is all of them). I think of that period as "the reading class from hell." I want to replace the teacher but am not sure that I can find another one, especially an English speaker, quickly enough. 

Their classroom is a musty, wet hallway. I am planning on moving them to another space as soon as I can get it cleaned out and a doorway broken through the wall. 

Notice how there are only two girls? I asked the principal about this, and he replied that girls are often kept at home. Parents living in leprosy colonies take them out begging, and they can get more money with girls in tow. Or they keep the girls at home so they can cook for the family.




Second class.

They weren't all looking my way, and so I motioned at them by snapping my fingers. But they don't speak English and thought I was asking them to snap with me!




Third class.

This class is little, with very sweet kids.




Sixth class, with one of their teachers, Kushi.


2 comments:

  1. Such sweet children, and wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the photos. And wonderful people. I am so glad you were able to go there.

    ReplyDelete