Friday, July 13, 2018

Odds and ends

The tailor shop at Little Flower! You walk past the goats outside and there you are!



Did I mention that my room is twenty feet from Nepal?



Wading to Nepal...



The Nepali soldiers across the river. They always hang out there.



Poor Prabu the electrician walked like this for several miles, after buying the wires and other materials for school wiring. He was supposed to call a rickshaw but didn't want to.



Prabu told me they'd had a baby. I didn't know where he lived and so I wandered around Little Flower asking "Prabu chota bacha?" ( = Prabu small child) in my great Hindi.

I was led here.



Ramjon and Mitleshkumar on the cement mixer. I've started to dream about mixing cement and stacking bricks...


2 comments:

  1. Can one just wade to Nepal? The soldiers don't stop you? Apprehend you? I gather they are there to guard the border? Are you flying out of Katmandu? Did Prabu not want to spend the money on the rickshaw? What is going to happen when you leave? Plans for anyone else to arrive soon? Congrats on your Hindi! Looks like a pretty new baby. Good job finding it! Those tailors keep everyone in clothes? I gather they sew the uniforms? And saris too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soldiers do stop you on the other side if you are carrying any kind of load. I think they are used to locals passing back and forth. That's all I know as I never tried it...

    No, the roads are very bad between here and Katmandu. Not paved even. It's better to go through Patna.

    We would have reimbursed Prabu, but I think he didn't want to bother. And then the box seemed a lot heavier than he thought at first.

    Everyone has asked me what will happen after I leave! The main replacement has visa issues and as postponed for a month or two. I have signed a few statements allowing for work and purchase of bricks and cement, etc. at the girls' hostel to continue for a week or so. After that everything is going to stop.

    The tailors are still working on the school uniforms. They made my Indian tops short-sleeved. Kids from the hostels bring them torn clothing. They are very busy.

    ReplyDelete