Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kanmani

Oh dear, Kanmani's little note in the last entry seems more dramatic than it really is. Worried people are now emailing me. I should have explained. He did not actually run away. He left school during the last period, which is math homework time. Our 200 children all do their math homework at school. Only little Kanmani can't manage it. I spent an hour searching for him, only to find him happily playing in the mango grove behind the school.

He's a Dennis the Menace figure, not meaning harm, but unable to avoid it. At every turn. Whether it's bringing a dead fish to class, chewing on safety pins, or swearing the American dollars I find in his pocket were lying "in the grass." But he's also Robin Hood, always sharing the proceeds of his plundered goods. Even I've benefitted a time or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment