Allow me to belatedly add a narrative to render my pictures even more riveting.
Yes, dear reader, I've had a special guest in town (or shall we say "in village"?). Even though my mom has already been here several days, I can't quite believe it's true. It still surprises me every time I encounter her in the school hallway or library. "You, and here?" I guess I've never seen her in India before. Let's call it a felicitous incongruity.
Besides (obviously) being thrilled with her company and her support, I'm delighted with how helpful she is with the children. Many situations arise during the day involving students who refuse to cooperate/need special attention/are fighting/cannot work on their own. Today I simply handed them off to her, all the while counting my lucky stars and hoping she'd stay forever.
And she fortuitously arrived just in time for our annual science exhibit: it was a grand occasion. Here's the crew, all adorned in Jasmine wreaths. Voila yours truly, Chris (long-term volunteer helping at the clinic and hostel), Steele and Sarah (directors), and Shaun (dance master).
And this is the other side of the room. We initiated the day with memorized speeches about scientists and a science contest.
The fabulous duo cuts the ribbon, which is strung across the entrance into the exhibit area.
Speaking of fabulous, the sixth through ninth graders had been fabulously diligent and displayed fabulous projects. I was fabulously proud, especially considering everyone's lack of experience, the absence of parental help, and the fact that we are right smack in the middle of nowhere.

Later in the afternoon, we took a trip to Pondicherry. It's a fabulous seaside town which I love, among other reasons, for serving as the setting of the opening chapters in Life of Pi. These dear people absolutely wanted to be in this picture.
Yes, dear reader, I've had a special guest in town (or shall we say "in village"?). Even though my mom has already been here several days, I can't quite believe it's true. It still surprises me every time I encounter her in the school hallway or library. "You, and here?" I guess I've never seen her in India before. Let's call it a felicitous incongruity.
Besides (obviously) being thrilled with her company and her support, I'm delighted with how helpful she is with the children. Many situations arise during the day involving students who refuse to cooperate/need special attention/are fighting/cannot work on their own. Today I simply handed them off to her, all the while counting my lucky stars and hoping she'd stay forever.
And she fortuitously arrived just in time for our annual science exhibit: it was a grand occasion. Here's the crew, all adorned in Jasmine wreaths. Voila yours truly, Chris (long-term volunteer helping at the clinic and hostel), Steele and Sarah (directors), and Shaun (dance master).
And this is the other side of the room. We initiated the day with memorized speeches about scientists and a science contest.
The fabulous duo cuts the ribbon, which is strung across the entrance into the exhibit area.
Speaking of fabulous, the sixth through ninth graders had been fabulously diligent and displayed fabulous projects. I was fabulously proud, especially considering everyone's lack of experience, the absence of parental help, and the fact that we are right smack in the middle of nowhere.
Later in the afternoon, we took a trip to Pondicherry. It's a fabulous seaside town which I love, among other reasons, for serving as the setting of the opening chapters in Life of Pi. These dear people absolutely wanted to be in this picture.
I'm totally loving your new look: Indian garb suits you well. What are you cutting in the pictures? Are you celebrating a Grand Opening of some sort?
ReplyDeleteI love that your amazing Mom came to visit you. I am sure that it was a joyous visit for both of you!
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, another reason that I think you are awesome, "The Life of Pi" is one of my favorite books.
ReplyDelete