Sunday, October 21, 2012

La vie sans enfants

Don't be fooled by the smile. It belies inner turmoil resulting, soon after the pictures were taken, in an emotional breakdown and forced bedrest. This is my last day at Rising Star (there! I said it), and I am saying goodbye to the children as they are heading homewards for fall break.

There are many more pictures of my last days, my apocalypse, but I've been avoiding them. Will post at some point in near or far future, rest assured!

I have been putting off these last blog posts for a long time, being in denial mode. India? What India? That's how I am currently dealing with the transition and with--let's make it less trenchant by rendering it in French--la vie sans enfants, the new life. That's why I still haven't unpacked most of my suitcase and why I have at least fifty unopened letters and cards from the kids.

(Although my sanguine self will be quick to add that I am a new woman thanks to the American comforts, and that I detect the final stages of exhaustion written all over my face below).


with Priya and Nishanti, both fourth standard, Priya as sweet and thoughtful as they come, Nishanti precocious with her insightful questions and artistic abilities


Sathrabathi with mother on left, Tamilselvi on right (note the "...lvi" henna'd on her forearm)

My chudidar (tunic top) is a farewell gift from the housemothers.

2 comments:

  1. I love you, Celina Ma'am. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves and hugs to you , wonderful woman. You did so much for those children. It probably took it's toll. You are amazing and beautiful, don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete