Few people own cars here, certainly not our teachers or anyone with whom I associate on a regular basis. So they carry on in life as best as they can, often accomodating astonishing amounts of cargo and children onto bikes and motorcycles.
When our Rising Star van passes a particulary photogenic scene on the road, I nod at the driver. Today it was Rajendran. They are all patient with me, slowing down, ignoring honking busses behind us and cars swerving around on both sides. I roll down the window and lean out as far as a I dare, hoping I won't drop the camera or lose a limb (childhood warnings about dangling body parts from car windows still ricocheting somewhere in my mind). The driver hopes I'll hurry it up but doesn't say anything.
It probably strikes him as a bit odd that I am constantly taking pictures of their version of a mundane minivan.
Yet it still takes away my breath to see babies perched on the handlebars. Do alternate rules of physics prevail here? Just so we're clear: this family is doing about 40 miles per hour (I sit in the front and can see the speedometer).
When our Rising Star van passes a particulary photogenic scene on the road, I nod at the driver. Today it was Rajendran. They are all patient with me, slowing down, ignoring honking busses behind us and cars swerving around on both sides. I roll down the window and lean out as far as a I dare, hoping I won't drop the camera or lose a limb (childhood warnings about dangling body parts from car windows still ricocheting somewhere in my mind). The driver hopes I'll hurry it up but doesn't say anything.
It probably strikes him as a bit odd that I am constantly taking pictures of their version of a mundane minivan.
Yet it still takes away my breath to see babies perched on the handlebars. Do alternate rules of physics prevail here? Just so we're clear: this family is doing about 40 miles per hour (I sit in the front and can see the speedometer).
No comments:
Post a Comment