Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rat-proofing the kitchen



I came across this scene a few days ago and declared it worthy of a snapshot. A volunteer must have been nervous about little rat feet prancing across the plates and nibbling on a fork. But is the hand towel from the bathroom going to make a difference?

I’ve clearly had a few lessons to learn in India. I just wish that living peaceably with rats weren’t one of them! But unfortunately not much progress has been made, and now I need an escort to enter the kitchen at night. Neither does it help that I’m an involuntary screamer. 

By the way, I highly recommend kitchen rats as an effective method for weight loss. Works like a charm and going to bed hungry is often preferable to trekking in there.

Remember Room 101 from 1984? "In your case," said O'Brien, "the worst thing in the world happens to be rats."

On that note, fun rat facts you’ve been dying to learn. Rats climb straight up the wall like Spiderman. I swear I’ve seen it twice. They throw raw eggs off the kitchen counter (so much for the mystery of broken eggs on the floor).  And then they scatter the shells. They nibble through milk cartons and plastic cookie wrappers. One opened a bag of uncooked rice and devoured half a pound, over successive nights, before I finally threw it away. Rats come in brown, grey, or black. Take your pick!

Bon appetit.

1 comment:

  1. Plus rats are very smart, I hear, and endearing. Go figure. For people who keep them as pets, that is. I agree with you. The mental image of seeing those critters dash about here and there in Taiwan has never left and still gives me the creeps today!

    ReplyDelete