We celebrated Independence Day on August 15th, commemorating freedom from British rule since 1947. Like other holidays here, it was a grand event. I am beginning to more fully appreciate the Pomp and Circumstance, the joy in festivities, the children's anticipation and eager excitement.
And I'll readily admit that I could get used to the whole Indian dignitary thing! Why not use the occasion for floral investitures?
Hoisting the tricolor flag.
And I'll readily admit that I could get used to the whole Indian dignitary thing! Why not use the occasion for floral investitures?
Hoisting the tricolor flag.
Surveying the marchers. The children marched around the track in four groups, each one led by a flag bearer. They spend long hours on sweltering afternoons drilling for these events until they are perfectly synchronized. Our PE teacher boasts that we have the best marchers in southern India.
Sometimes I do feel sorry for the kids when the sweat is dripping off their chins and there's no respite. But the lessons in endurance and discipline surely must be benefiting us?
Then the speeches. Several children instructed and charmed us with Tamil chants, tales of freedom fighters from Gandhi's generation, and the meaning of the holiday. I was struck by their ability to memorize and confidently recite speeches lasting up to five minutes.
My host country on the other end of the elephant hole has opened my eyes and my heart in previously unfathomable ways. Thank you! Nandri!
This is all very interesting, and bizarre at the same time. It is still strange to imagine you over there in your Indian life. And you look very nice in the sari.
ReplyDelete