Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Arrivata!

After what may or may not have included an identity change and a trip to San Francisco, I obtained my visa at long last! The very next day found me flying via Korea and Singapore to India.

I've decided that everyone needs one rock star moment. I had mine yesterday evening when I saw the children for the first time in three months. They were eating dinner at the dining hall when I entered. Ashok saw me first and shouted, "Celina Ma'am, it's Celina Ma'am!" The room erupted into loud cheering and they ran over to hug me, their right hands still covered in curry rice.

I was quickly metamorphosed into a blubbering mess.

What a perfect, alternate universe we have here, where children and housemothers are so gracious and loving, so unpresumptuous and wholeheartedly dear! One teacher told me today that it's been "very bore" (=boring) without me. Not sure what sort of antics I provide!

In a word (or two), sensory overload. Today's also been bittersweet as I am missing the long-term volunteers who were here last year but have since departed, as have the directors I knew. It's not exactly the way I left it, but what ever is?

1 comment: