Monday, March 21, 2011

"Your mother say I is good"

First, a disclosure. At the risk of relinquishing my cynicism and sounding like a Disney movie: I love these kids with all my heart. I'm not sure when exactly they began stretching my heartstrings into all sorts of unfathomable directions. But somewhere along my daily (no, hourly) pilgrimage between copy machine, first aid kit, library, supply cabinet, infirmary (the floor of my office), lab, and playground, I was hooked.

You can, therefore, imagine my feelings when my favorite person on the planet (aka my mom) came to meet some of my other favorite little persons on the opposite side of the planet.

She eagerly sat with students who were struggling over their journal writing. After they had finished, the kids she had tutored proudly ran back to me with reports of her praise. "Your mom help me tomorrow again," said Shaktivel. "Your mother say I is good," crowed the bespectacled M. Vijay.


My mom with (left to right) Vijayalakshmi, Christraj, his sister Sagayamery who is playfully (?) pushing him, Monica (in the back), Theerthi, and Arunachalam Peter. Don't you love them just for the sake of their names?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment