Sunday, September 26, 2010

"A stint in India will beat the restlessness out of any living creature" (Life of Pi), or Meeting the Neighbors

It's hard to believe that I've been at Rising Star for over three months. In such an isolated environment, time simultaneously stands still and races forwards. It's also hard to believe that yesterday was the first time I sauntered beyond the walls of our campus and into Thottanaval Village.

That's partly due to the fact that we're not supposed to leave the school alone. And when I have left on morning runs (with other volunteers during the summer sessions), we always steered into the opposite direction to avoid inflicting culture shock as far as possible. As I know well from excursions in the Middle East, women (especially) simply do not run around for exercise.


Devaraj, bicycle pilot, lives in the village but attends Rising Star.

Cameron, one of our two current volunteers. He'll be here until the end of the year, and then starts college in January. Moving directly from high school to university just seemed a bit too mundane.
 

These women had just stepped off the bus and were returning to the village. They insisted on posing for several photos.


 A few asked for a solo shot.







Cameron making all the babies laugh...

A baby's first birthday appears to be a big rite of passage around here. We happened on a fete in preparation for that evening.



They hospitably held out a cup with water and lemon, which I unfortunately and ungraciously had to turn down. This has happened several times and always makes me feel awkward. But I have a very strict rule about only drinking bottled water.



The grocer, who sells limes, candy, and toothbrushes. I wonder what Voltaire would have to say about the cause and effect of these items. I'm remembering how "the legs are visibly designed for stockings; accordingly we wear stockings."


Owning a car is rare in the country, so they make do by strapping twenty plastic chairs/one hundred sacks/a dog/a goat/thirty metal water jugs to the rear end of a bike/motorcycle.  

One of the Hindu shrines in the village.

And finally, one of my favorites:

By the way, is anyone noticing the glorious absence of autumn? The absence of the bright colors of decaying leaves or denuded and lifeless trees? Can you guess what it means to me that I haven't had cold feet OR cold hands even once since I arrived?

1 comment:

  1. You know Celina it struck me so weird this Fall in NYC that it got cold. I had not felt this sensation in over a year. Enjoy it while it lasts!!
    By the way I realized that I pop up as AJ - ala Anita :)

    ReplyDelete